When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no cost to you.
A backpack blower is a type of electronic gardening tool called a blower that uses propelled air to remove or sweep away unwanted debris like leaves on a lawn. It is mounted on the back of the user, hence the name.
They have become increasingly popular and especially to sweeping job contractors who even consider it as a can’t do without. It saves one the tedious time and effort that is needed when using a rake or broom.
It sure brings a lot of convenience. This convenience can be further maximized by ensuring you choose the best backpack blower out there.
Choosing the best is rather dependent on a myriad of factors and so different people with different needs will require different backpack blowers.
- 1 Why do we need to get the best backpack blower?
- 2 Top 5 Best Backpack Blower In 2020 Reviews
- 2.1 1. Husqvarna 965877502 350BT
- 2.2 2. Makita BBX7600N 75.6 CC 4-Stroke Backpack Blower
- 2.3 3. Husqvarna 965102208 130BT Backpack Blower
- 2.4 4. Troy-Bilt TB4BP EC 32cc 4-Cycle Backpack Blower
- 2.5 5. Echo PB-500T 50.8cc Gas Backpack Blower
- 3 So how do they work?
- 4 So what are the factors to consider when looking around?
- 4.1 Price
- 4.2 Power source
- 4.3 Engine
- 4.4 Power considerations
- 4.5 Rules and regulations
- 4.6 Power ratings
- 4.7 CFM rating
- 4.8 Reduction ratio
- 4.9 Ergonomics
- 4.10 Vibration reduction
- 4.11 Fuel filters for gas powered backpack blowers
- 4.12 Air filters
- 4.13 Maintenance procedures
- 5 Conclusion
Why do we need to get the best backpack blower?
There are various backpack blowers out there with a wide range of differing specifications and special features which are built and tailored to best suit certain situations. One needs to determine the desired usage or need, power and performance expected, desired life cycle and these are determined by product specifications.
Using one where it is not designed to may lead to possible damage to the blower or even the user. Hence there is the need to get the best product available. Also, there are a lot of products out there nowadays. The competition is getting stiffer among manufacturers and this is leading to misleading or false advertising by some.
The following is a guide on the factors that one needs to consider when selecting a model. It can serve as some sort of checklist when you are searching around. Choosing the best backpack blower basically comes down to the debris type being cleared, size of the area to be cleared and conditions of the environment.
Top 5 Best Backpack Blower In 2020 Reviews
1. Husqvarna 965877502 350BT
Husqvarna is a reputable company that was established in Sweden in 1689 in Sweden. The company is dedicated to offering top quality blowers and accessories. It has worked hard to unveil the Husqvarna 350BT Backpack Blower, an exceptional lightweight backpack blower that features an all new powerful 2-stroke X-TORO engine, excellent fuel economy and eco-friendly. It is a unique blower for unique yards. The controls and harness are creatively and ergonomically structured with the landowner in mind to easily handle high capacity of work. The throttle controls are excellently attached on the tube. It comes with a 2 year warranty on parts and labor.
Our Rating: (4.3 / 5)
Who Is This Product For?
Are you a homeowner with vast land areas? Are you a landscape expert? Then the Husqvarna 350BT backpack blower is what you need.
- The gas powered blower is light in weight (22.5 pounds), with integrated backpack harness
- A 2.1 liter 2-stroke HP X-Torq engine rated at 2.1HP that is eco-friendly and with high fuel economy. The engine can generate speeds reaching 7,500 RPM.
- Coupled with wide shoulder straps and a hip belt for ventilated, comfortable and load reducing properties
- Easy to adjust the fan speed for easier handling. The air purge enables extracts air from the fuel system and the carburetor to enable easy start.
- CARB compliant
- Comes with 3 to 32 cans of pre-mix fuel
- Easily adjustable handles with soft grip to enhance optimal maneuvering
- Intuitively gathered controls
- Air purge function from the fuel system and the carburetor which enables easier starting.
- Cylinder displacements of up to 50.2cc
- Sound power level of 0nly 104dB
- Dimensions are 79x19x19
- Fuel tank volume of 42.27 fluid ounces
What’s So Great About The Husqvarna 350BT?
- Very light in weight, weighing only 22.5lbs.
- Has a relatively larger fuel tank volume of 42.27 ounces to sustain long hours of use
- Coupled with a powerful engine with excellent fuel economy (up to 20% less) and less carbon emissions (up to 60% less emissions) compared to a regular 2 stroke engine.
- The integrated harness is essential in reducing the load
- The blower can produce wind speeds reaching 180 miles per hour; enough to blow all the stubborn yard waste.
- Designed to fit all the different contours of the operator.
- The cruise control function is essential in maintaining the fan speed which enables you to finish big tasks without the need to constantly regulate the speed of the blower.
- Multipurpose: It is equipped with lawnmowers, snow blowers, trimmers and chainsaws.
- Comes with a 2 year warranty
- Less vibrations
What’s Not So Great About The Husqvarna 350BT?
- The 2 year warranty is limited to some parts and labor only.
- The handle camp for the throttle is a bit delicate and can break if not properly handled.
Is This A Great Purchase?
Definitely! It is a great purchase because with it, making your yard an envy to the neighborhood is guaranteed. It is equipped with exceptional parts to handle all your yard requirements. It is also multipurpose; a lawnmower, chainsaw, trimmer and a snow blower. It also has long working hours, up to 8 hours every day. Testimonials from the previous users are very positive and they highly recommend it. You definitely need this blower, especially if you own land or work as a landscape expert.
2. Makita BBX7600N 75.6 CC 4-Stroke Backpack Blower
The Makita BBX7600N 75.6 CC 4-Stroke Backpack Blower is a backpack mounted leaf blower with a handheld nozzle to remove not only leaves, but all other forms of yard debris. It is gasoline-powered and guarantees maximum satisfactory performance for the user. Customers find it awesome, providing more benefits and advantages compared to other models, and complaints are very minimal and isolated.
Our Rating: (4.2 / 5)
Who Is This Product For?
This product is definitely recommended for all households with trees in the yards, and experiencing severe falling leaves every autumn. The leaves scattered all over their lawns can be difficult to remove without proper gardening tool or equipment. On the other hand, the manual process of removing is very tedious, time consuming, and in most cases, costly. A Makita Backpack Blower is the best alternative, and homeowners who have purchased and tried this product seldom express dissatisfaction. Most of them, as observed in the product reviews, recommend it to other homeowners planning to buy their own.
The Makita Backpack Blower is an efficient 4-stroke engine designed to address air pollution concerns while efficiently removing debris from the yard. It is easy to operate and requires no fuel mix up. Some of its vital specifications are as follows:
- Maximum Power (7,000 RPM) 3.8 HP
- Maximum Air Velocity 195 MPH
- Sound Pressure 74 dB(A)
- Fuel Tank Capacity 64.2 oz.
- Fuel Type Unleaded gas
- Overall length 13 3/4”
In looking for the pros and the cons of a certain product, the best source of information are the customers, not the product manual provided by the manufacturer. Customers are more reliable sources of information and product opinion. They are the ones personally experiencing the machine’s actual performance in terms of durability and power. For this purpose, all available customer reviews were checked and analyzed and these are the results:
What’s So Great About The Makita BBX7600N?
Overall, the Makita Backpack Blower has earned excellent customer reviews such as this one: “Set the choke and this machine usually starts on the first pull from cold and that pull is much slower and less effort than a two cycle. You dont get any kickback on the starting rope either. It always starts on the first pull when hot. It is very fuel efficient and almost no smell unlike a two stroke with unburnt fuel and oil fumes in the exhaust.” Most of the reviews were positively endorsing the product for its satisfactory capabilities and performance except, for one or two negative issues, inevitable, even in other products because of case to case or personal circumstances.
What’s Not So Great About The Makita BBX7600N?
The cons were rather minor and isolated cases such as:
- The unit can sometimes cause some vibration on the shoulders when using this machine, but not much. The customer making the comment just wanted the product to be free from defects, whether minor or major, but according to him this incident only happened once.
- As with all mechanical tools using fuel, the emissions in general can cause air pollution. But it was precisely for this purpose that the engine was changed from 2-stroke to 4-stroke to minimize air pollution.
- Noise pollution within residential neighborhoods can also be a concern with leaf blowers. Well, all brands practically encounter this problem.
Is This A Great Purchase?
The Makita BBX7600N 75.6 CC 4-Stroke Backpack Blower is a great purchase, there’s no doubt about that. Aside from the pros significantly outnumbering the cons, the product itself is perfect for its power, capacity, and efficiency, which gives customers total satisfaction and a great value for their money. This is one leaf blower that’s really worth-buying, considering the positive factors involved.
3. Husqvarna 965102208 130BT Backpack Blower
Husqvarna 130BT Backpack Blower is a revolutionary, easy-to-use brand new back pack dust blower that is designed for longer working hours and for larger surface areas. It is used for blowing surfaces to rid them of dust and make them clean and habitable.
Our Rating: (4.1 / 5)
The detailed product descriptions for Husqvarna 130BT Backpack Blower are as follows:
- Mulching Capability: Not applicable
- Box Content: Blower Tubes
- Air flow (in the pipe): 360.21 Cubic Feet per Minute
- Horsepower: 1.3
- Speed Controls: Trigger
- Sound Pressure: 15m 94 DBA
- Speed Settings: Variable
- Engine Displacement Capacity: 29.5cc
- Carburetor Type: Rotary valve
- Noise Rating: 94 decibels
- Weight: 14.77 pounds.
- Power Output: 1.3 horsepower
- Air Speed (Miles per Hour): 0 145
- Air Flow (in Housing): 430.84 Cubic Feet per Minute
- Starting System: Recoil
- Fuel tank Capacity: 30.43 FL Oz
- Cylinder Stroke: 1 inch
- Air Purge System: A carburetor which filters from the fuel system
- Idling speed: 3000 Revolutions per Minute
- Cylinder Bore: 1.5 inches
- Fuel consumption: 392 grams per Kilowatt-Hour
- Maximum Power Speed: 8000 Revolutions per Minute
- Dimensions: 69.5 inches by 17 inches by 15 inches
What’s So Great About The Husqvarna 965102208?
The merits of Husqvarna 130BT Backpack Blower are as follows:
- Very comfortable thanks to the ergonomic handle which has rubber inserts that can be adjusted to suit the desired positions. It also comprises comfortable harnesses that can be shaped appropriately to fit the unique contours of the operator
- Proper Controls owing to the Cruise Control capability which enables the maintenance of constant blowing speed
- Very swift due to the fact that it has a very powerful, easy-to-start X-Torq engine and a very efficient fan. It thus expedites the time for operations and blowing
- Very portable since it comprises a comfortable, well-ventilated and a load-reducing harness which can be adjusted to effectively fit the operator. These traits enable the device to be deployed to the intended site with relative ease.
- It is very easy to start owing to the fact that the air in the fueling system is thoroughly purged of any impurities. This makes the equipment very efficient.
- It has a very high fuel efficiency of up to 20%, which translates to low cost for users
- It is environmentally-friendly since it releases 60% less harmful Carbon-dioxide and Carbon-monoxide into the atmosphere
What’s Not So Great About The Husqvarna 965102208?
The drawbacks of Husqvarna 130BT Backpack Blower are:
- It is quite expensive and hence largely out of reach of the common man.
- It is very strong and powerful and hence is unsuitable for very sensitive electronics such as computers, phones and some television sizes. That means, they are largely of limited use.
- It comes along with very sophisticated calibrations and operational controls which may make its operations a bit confusing for non-experts and the average homeowners.
- It has a noise rating of 94 decibels, which is way too loud.
Is This A Great Purchase?
Husqvarna 130BT Backpack Blower is a very powerful dust blower whose contribution to the home environment cannot be fully appreciated. It is a very great purchase because it combines portability, great power, versatility, and environmental-friendliness and energy efficiency all in one package. It is therefore a piece of equipment which any serious home owner cannot shy away from possessing.
4. Troy-Bilt TB4BP EC 32cc 4-Cycle Backpack Blower
The Troy-Bilt TB4BP is a high-oomph backpack blower which works without the need to mix gas plus oil. It is equipped with a high-torque and full-crank engine boasting 32cc (cylinder displacement) 4-Cycle, the mill produces 500 CFM along 150 mph air velocity. An elongated flex pipe permits the user to easily direct air, blow through narrow spaces and maneuver with ease. Another highlight is the incorporated Coolflex harness with super-padded straps, ergonomic design and smooth circulation of air to the user’s back. The Troy-Bilt TB4BP Blower is a powerful machine capable of moving humongous piles of debris and foliage quickly and comfortably. It is also light to suspend behind the back without straining shoulders.
Our Rating: (3.8 / 5)
High-Output Engine: This blower features a 32cylinder-displacement 4-Cycle, full crank and oil and gas mix-free engine. This motor spins the machine’s fan at above 8,500 RPM, enough to produce 500 CFM/Air Volume. The corpus air is accompanied by 150 mph velocity. The QuickStart highly developed technology offsets the energy expended to pull-start the engine, making it effortless to power on. What’s more, the blower has the state-of-the-art backpack harness coupled with padded straps as well as cruise control, these blend with the tip top motor for users to work incessantly.
Start Advanced Technology: JumpStart technology enables users to start the engine devoid of dragging the cord, albeit it is sold separately with the engine. There is also an inbuilt SpringAssist starting feature to make it easier to pull the cord.
Coolflex Backpack Harness: Backpack harness keeps users comfy as it evenly circulates air behind to ensure they are cool. It also mitigates fatigue as it uniformly distributes backpack weight stuck between hips plus shoulders.
Cruise Control Throttle: The throttle is user-friendly and can be adjusted to different speeds; there is no need for users to keep a continuous grip on the trigger while undertaking substantial tasks.
What’s So Great About The Troy-Bilt TB4BP EC?
- Ergonomically-designed for easy operation and to allow operators to blow sprawling areas as it is lightweight behind the back and has optimum air circulation keeping it fully ventilated.
- It features a supercharged engine that works without blending gas and oil, but with high-output, start technology and jump starter (optional).
- Elongated flex tube enables users to maneuver easily and blow beneath objects.
- It has EPA and California Air Resource Board approval.
What’s Not So Great About The Troy-Bilt TB4BP EC?
- JumpStart starter is optional. Buyers have to cough up extra backs to buy it alongside the engine.
- Safety Equipment: Users are impelled to acquire accessories for eye and hearing protection as the machine blows vigorously.
Is This A Great Purchase?
Overall, the Troy-Bilt TB4BP EC 32cc blower nifty features and technology with its pocket-friendly price-tag present a good trade-off. There is no mixing oils and gases, the engine is supercharged for high-performance while backpack design allows optimum ventilation at the operator’s back and can be jump-started without a cord. With air circulation at 150 mph velocity and 500 CFM/Air Volume, this blower is aptly-made for its type of job, blowing mass piles of foliage and debris. Gas-powered, the Troy-Bilt TB4BP EC 32cc has less maintenance demands, except for lubrication between blowing-cycles and is well-built to last for long.
5. Echo PB-500T 50.8cc Gas Backpack Blower
During fall, the trees and other plants planted in your compound start to shed leaves. The leaves falling make the place look ugly. Instead of manually removing these leaves, you can apply a machine to blow the leaves and make the area clean. The Echo PB-500T 50.8cc Gas Backpack Blower with Tube-Mounted Throttle power blower gives dependable operations for long hours.
Our Rating: (3.3 / 5)
Who Is This Product For?
This gas backpack blower is an ideal machine for any homeowner who has planted trees that shed leaves during fall. Besides, it can be used by people who have planted grass and liked mowing. After mowing, they just use this machine to blow the grass from their compound.
First, this machine is fitted with a 44cc dual ring piston engine. This engine is for commercial use. This means a medium sized machine with more power to provide enough air to blow the leaves from any place.
This machine as mentioned is medium in size. Therefore, it is fitted with a 64fl Oz fuel tank which is bigger to accommodate enough fuel to make it run for several hours when working. You will not stop many times to refuel the tank.
The main purpose of this blower is to provide enough air volume so that it blows the leaves and dirt. In this regard, it is designed to give 380 cfm of air volume and 175 mph of air force so that when it is directed from the pipe, it accomplishes its purpose.
From its design, this is a backpack blower. Therefore, it has an added feature for easy reaching tube mounted and hip-mounted throttle. As you maneuver around working, you can reach these throttles easily to give control.
This machine is installed with leaf guards that make it resist overheating as a result of intrusion from leaves taken when blowing. This makes it work for long without the need for cooling.
Since it is designed in the form of a backpack, the tube mounted blower is designed with padded backrest and shoulder straps to prevent injuries when working for long.
What’s So Great About The Echo Pb-500t?
- It starts quickly and comes with a powerful blower to finish the job easily
- Simple to use unlike other heavy blowers on the market
- It uses a commercial air filtration system to give it enough blowing power
- A medium sized fuel tank prevent refilling after a short time
- The mounted throttles are easy to reach and operate when working
What’s Not So Great About The Echo Pb-500t?
- Many people who have used it complain that it does not give services for many years
- If you store the machine for long, the gas and oil separates and this causes the cylinder to fail working
- The model is very expensive to maintain since it uses gas power
- Less cushioning at the back may cause injuries for those using it for long hours
Is This A Great Purchase?
The backpack mounted blower is a great purchase because it is very affordable and comes with a warranty. The engine gives enough air force to blow the leaves and dirt from any place. Besides, it uses less gas, thus saves you cash. The blower is medium in size and allows the person to work for long hours without feeling tired.
So how do they work?
Backpack blowers or blowers in general operate using centrifugal force as the power source. Centrifugal force is outwards force from an object rotating about an axis. The faster the object is rotated, the greater the centrifugal force. This is the basic principle of operation of a blower.
On the inside, there is a motor, which is gas or electric powered, which rapidly rotates or spins a fan. This spinning action draws air from outside rapidly. This is centrifugal force at work. The air that has been drawn in is forced out of the blower through a smaller opening.
The difference in the sizes of the openings combined with the force of the drawn in air makes air leave the smaller opening at a very fast speed. Speeds can reach up to about 250 miles per hour and this is pretty much enough to blow away most types of debris.
As you can see, the principle of operation of a blower is very simple, but yet has brought about a highly convenient gardening tool. Modern designs for the best backpack blowers are attaining lower noise levels, lower smoke emissions for gas powered backpack blowers and better ability to not disturb the underlying surface of the area to be blown.
So what are the factors to consider when looking around?
The most important factor to take into consideration is the price. Also consider future possible maintenance costs. Generally, the higher the price the better the power, performance, life cycle and higher priced backpack blowers are likely to contain special features specific to the model. The budget range determines heavily the type of machine one will get.
In general, there are battery powered, electric blowers which are connected to power, hence no need to recharge, and gas powered backpack blowers.
1. Battery powered
Battery powered backpack blowers are cordless and powered by a rechargeable battery. They offer the advantage of high mobility which is not possible with corded blowers. However, the batteries normally last for a short time, normally between 15 – 30 minutes. So if you require a blower for jobs that may last longer, the battery powered blower is not a suitable option. They also normally have lower power ratings than electric or gas powered backpack blowers and therefore may not be the best for heavy duty work.
2. Electric powered
Electric powered backpack blowers have power cords which are connected to a power source. They have the advantage of not needing recharging or refueling and therefore can run for any desired amount of time. It however has limited mobility and therefore is best suited for small areas. Power ratings for electric backpack blowers are generally higher than for battery powered backpack blowers.
3. Gas powered
Gas powered backpack blowers are powered by gasoline or some form of fuel mixture. They offer the advantage of mobility, increased power levels and longer running time than battery powered backpack blowers. They are suited for large areas and jobs that require long time of usage.
There is the 2-cycle engine and the 4-cycle engine.
1. 2-cycle engine
The 2-cycle engine runs on a fuel mixture of oil and gasoline. The fuel mixture can be prepared at home or purchased already mixed. For the fuel mix, it is recommended to use high octane gas and high quality oil. One should also consider using smokeless oil for environmental reasons. Everyone owes it to himself or herself to give consideration to the environment. Fuel emissions are devastating to the environment and it is a well-known fact. The 2-cycle engines are cheaper, lighter in weight and quieter. It offers a good balance of weight and performance and is preferred by most people.
2. 4-cycle engine
The 4-cycle engine runs on gasoline alone and operates much like a regular car engine. They have the disadvantage of being heavier and require regular oil changes. They are however more fuel efficient than 2-cycle engines.
Buying a model with the least required power level is recommended. The higher the power level, the higher the likely noise and smoke emissions for gas powered backpack blowers. By determining the tasks required of the tool, one can know the least required power level. Also, the higher the power level, the higher the power consumption.
Rules and regulations
Prior to purchasing one, you should do research on the area on which the blower is to be used and determine the rules and regulations on their use. Some areas will have restrictions on the level of noise emission and smoke emission for gas powered backpack blowers. Some communities restrict usage of blowers at certain times while others have completely banned the use of backpack blowers, or blowers for that matter.
Some may be wondering how to determine the power rating. For electric blowers, the amps (A) ratings are an indicator of power. The volts (V) rating on a battery powered model is the power indicator while a gasoline powered model uses cubic centimeters (cc) as its power indicator. Miles per hour (MPH) ratings indicate the speed of air that is exiting the blower and can also be used as an indicator of power.
CFM stands for cubic feet per minute. It is a measure of the volume of air in cubic feet that the backpack blower moves in one minute. Backpack blowers with higher CFM ratings are suited for jobs that contain high debris levels.
The reduction ratio is the number of bags of leaves that a blower can fit into one bag if the blower has mulching capabilities. It is represented as a ratio, for example 10:1. This means that it can transform 10 bags of leaves into one bag of mulched leaves. Mulching is the process of moisturizing the leaves so they can take up a smaller volume and therefore fit into a smaller number of bags.
Ergonomics is the science of equipment design with regard to human use. It deals with the design and manufacture of a product so that it can fit or interact with people efficiently. It concerns itself with lessened fatigue, increased productivity and reduced injury risk during the use of a product. It is designed to be fitted on one’s back so as to enable better weight distribution. Hence there is increased comfort and less fatigue during extended use. The straps on a backpack blower should be thick and wide to offer better weight distribution and therefore comfort. A hip belt can also help a lot. Look out for backpack blowers with these features.
Vibrations in parts of the backpack blower that come into contact with the user are a potential cause of injury during use. Also, vibrations within the equipment itself may lead to possible damage of components or the entire machine. One should look out for backpack blowers with vibration reduction features. There are various vibration damping techniques which can be incorporated in the product design.
Fuel filters for gas powered backpack blowers
When it comes to backpack blowers, fuel filters are located on the bottom of the blower, feeding fuel upwards to the blower’s engine. A clean, functioning fuel filter is therefore very important. Check the product manuals for cleaning, replacing or servicing cycles. Ensure that these recommended cycles are strictly adhered to so as to increase the product life cycle.
The air filter is a very important aspect. This is especially the case for use of the blower in dusty areas such as a parking lot. Sweeping contractors who perform such jobs should make extra consideration for the type of air filter. The filter should be efficient and have a longer life cycle. They require backpack blowers with special air filters. Constant special attention to the air filters should also be done. If the backpack blower ingests dust due to faulty air filters, the piston and cylinders in the engine risk suffering serious damage and prematurely ending the life of the backpack blower. Therefore, don’t ignore air filters, please.
The backpack blower should have a user and technical manual which details clearly how and when maintenance should be done. The manual should have technical information on how to conduct the maintenance. It should also state how and who is to handle each maintenance procedure.
Some maintenance may require taking the machine to the manufacturer or to some sort of technical expert. Such maintenance should not be done by you or other personnel if not qualified to do the work. Otherwise, you risk temporary or permanent damage.
These may also lead to voiding of the warranty for the product. This can lead to heavy loss of your beloved backpack blower. Some maintenance procedures such as fuel checks, air filter check, air intake check should be done regularly while in the field or in use. The product manual should include details of such filed maintenance procedures.
However, maintenance activity such as checking the anti-vibration system, checking or servicing of the engine, back strap repair in some cases may require seeking of expertise. You should also do maintenance correctly in the advised order and following common sense techniques to care for your backpack blower. This can go a long way in maximizing the life cycle of your machine.
Maybe by choosing any blower the job will get done, but is the chosen blower the best for the job? Does it have too much to do or too little to do? Obsession with power is not recommended while choosing the best backpack blower for you. A gas powered model has a lot of power, but it is too much for a job like blowing leaves off a small lawn. A battery powered blower will be cheaper and still get the job done effectively. This is just an example. Overall, the backpack blower is a smart investment for any home or business owner. With the advancements made since they began being manufactured, there are a lot of great products out there to suit any need. I am sure you will be spoilt for choice. Use this guide as your go to for what to look out for. It will prove to be of great assistance.