When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no cost to you.
Ice therapy machines are products that are recommended by trainers and physicians as they have immense benefits. They have rapidly replaced the use of ice packs to treat injury. Ice therapy machines can be utilized by individuals who are in pain after injury, people in pain after intense workouts and surgery.
They relieve pain by cooling and deaden nerve endings temporarily. Also, the machine works by retarding cellular metabolism to protect against secondary damage of tissues and swelling.For one to benefit from a maximum capacity, they need to choose the best Ice therapy machines available. The choice is dependent on the area that needs pain relief and the specific requirements of the user.
The review will guide the user to the products available, what to consider before choosing a particular product, tips when using the machine and the recommended product.
- 1 Top 5 Best Ice Therapy Machines To Buy In 2020 Reviews
- 2 Buying Guide
- 3 Ice Therapy Machine Benefits
- 4 Precautions to enhance safety
- 5 Conclusion
Top 5 Best Ice Therapy Machines To Buy In 2020 Reviews
Here is a review of 5 ice therapy machines available for pain relief.
1. Ossur Cold Rush Cold Therapy System
The Ossur Cold Rush Cold Therapy System weighs 2.1 kilograms and is a product that is compact. It works by delivering cold water continuously at a string flow rate for up to six hours. It does this without producing any noise making it an excellent choice.I think that these are great features because the users get an efficient machine that is quiet.
The sound is about 30 decibels. The motor of the machine has four power settings. The ice to water ratio is relatively high allowing heat transfer for pain relief through cold therapy.The product comes with a shoulder pad and three straps that are elasticized.
The product is designed to reduce inflammatory and pain systems. Also, it can be used to improve the functions of the joint to promote the quality of life. It is advised to consult a healthcare provider before using the product for better advice depending on the need.
Our Rating: (4.6 / 5)
- It is quiet when in operation
- It is light and compact
- The product is able to provide compression and cooling even at high elevations
- The walls are insulated to improve cooling
- It comes with a shoulder pad and straps
- It is able to last for 24 hours if kept at the lowest level
- Condensation around the tubing may occur creating the need to use a towel to curb wetness
- The plastic tubing may get crimped quickly and start to leak
- Replacement parts are not available since it is a medical device
2. Ossur Cold Rush Device USA – Unit Only
The device features a motor that is durable. It is able to offer a stable flow rate. Even when providing a steady flow rate, the machine is quiet producing sound of only 30 decibels. This product is able to provide a leading ice to water ratio that prolongs the cooling time. It is compact and lightweight weighing 2.1 kilograms making it convenient to use and carry around.
It is able to provide consistent cooling and compression for about six hours. This product may also last a whole night if the system is kept at a lower level. It also works well at high elevations. The heat transfer from the motor to the water is less ensuring cold therapy. It has some unique features such as the locking lid that prevent spills. Also, walls that are insulated to improve the cooling for longer hours.
Our Rating: (4.4 / 5)
- It works efficiently to relieve pain
- This product is quiet when operating
- It has a stable flow rate
- It is compact and light
- There are no replacement parts for sections that damage easily
- The plastic tubing may get crimped and start to leak
3. Active Ice® Therapy System
The Active Ice Therapy is a motorized device that comes with an adjustable flow rate temperature control. It has a 9-quart cooler compartment that helps the device in performing the cooling operations.The cooler has a carrying handle system that makes it easy to carry. It is designed for pain relief that is drug-free and post-surgery. The motor works to provide water to the network producing a little humming noise. It has a hinged cooler lid that snaps in place to keep the system sealed.
The insulated cold water line is five ft long and comes with couplings which make it easily disconnected. A 30-minute timer is also available for safety of the skin. Also included are an elastic belt and a universal U-shaped bladder. The bladder can be used in any part of the body. It is great for the shoulders, back, knees, elbows and ankles.
Our Rating: (3.7 / 5)
- It is easy to use
- It is useful in performing its function
- The universal bladder can be used in any part of the body
- It is durable
- The timer is a great safety feature
- It comes with a large reservoir
- Having to reset the timer after the 30 minute elapses is tiresome
4. Kit Cold Rush US w/ Knee Pad
The Kit Cold Rush machine with a knee pad features a motor that is durable that provides a strong flow rate. The brushless motor provides cooling and condensation consistently even at high elevations.It has a leading ice to water ratio that extends the cooling time.
The ratio produces less heat transfer promoting cold therapy for up to six hours. It is a compact device weighing 2.1 kilograms. It is also a silent machine that operates efficiently to provide a soothing treatment. This product works to reduce pain after operation and swelling.
It can be used at home, when on the move or at hospitals.The machine fastens the rate of recovery for patients returning them to their normal daily routines.It has a locking lid that prevents spills. Also, improved cooling is enhanced by insulated walls.
It has cold rush pads that make the device ergonomic to handle. It has a unique loop that covers the top section that enables the use of the instrument without foam wraps. The pad can be utilized under post-operative systems of bracing. It can be used to treat the knee, hip, shoulder, back, knees or hand.
Our Rating: (4.4 / 5)
- It is easy to set up and use
- It works effectively to relieve swelling and pain
- The chord can be used in different parts of the body
- It does not last for an extended period of time
5. Ossur Cold Rush Compact System and Pads (with Knee Pad)
The product is a smaller version of the cold rush making it convenient to carry around and use. It has a single flow that is easy to set up using the instructions provided. It is a motorized device that can be utilized both at home and in the hospital.
This product provides a soothing treatment to persons with post-operative pain and swelling. It makes the healing process faster by reducing surgery swelling and pain symptoms.It is also able to improve joint function and should be used after the instruction of a healthcare professional.
Our Rating: (3.9 / 5)
- It is not noisy
- It is smaller thus easy to handle
- Some users have complained that it does not work as well as described
Here are a few things to consider so as to get the most effective ice therapy machine. It is important to know that there are two types of ice therapy machines, a motorized and non-motorized.
For a motorized device consider the following;
The product should be able to run for an extended period of time. Many work continuously for 6 hours. However, some of the machines available can be able to run throughout the night when the settings are lowered.
The machine should be as quiet as possible when operating. A noisy machine makes it hard for the user to concentrate on other activities. Also, the noise may distract other people around the user.
Wrap versus pad attachment
A wrap attachment is recommended rather than a pad because it covers the area better. Also, a wrap is more comfortable making the treatment effective since the user will want to have the system on for a longer period.
The product to choose will be dependent on a budget of the user. It is advised to spend a reasonable amount to get a durable and high-quality product. Purchasing a lasting quality will provide value for money.
The product should be easy to move around so as to be able to be used anywhere. For example, use at home, at the track, in the gym and when travelling.
Check the manufacturer so as to be able to gauge the quality of the product. Also, ensure that the company is licensed and certified by the medical field to produce such products. This is because a poorly made product might cause harm to the body if the sections are faulty and poorly made.
Ice Therapy Machine Benefits
Provide better results
For a long period, people have been using ice packs for relieving inflammation and pain after an injury. The use of ice packs is not effective since it is messy and not very targeted. Ice therapy machines have come in to fill the gap and work effectively to create a soothing healing process. The product is not only able to cater for swelling, but it is also able to help people who have undergone surgery heal faster.
The ice therapy machines combine active compression with therapeutic cold delivery. A pumping effect is created by the motorized sections. This pumping effect is similar to the natural contractions of the body muscles which help to remove lymphatic and edema drainage in the areas of injury. Active compression also enhances blood flow which in turn accelerates the healing process.
Offer better coverage
The machines make use of wraps that cover the injured sections better than ice packs. There are a variety of wraps that are made for different areas of the body. For example, knee, shoulder, ankle and foot pads. There are also universal wraps that can be used for more than one section of the body. The wraps allow the cold to penetrate the muscle tissue deeper and in a uniform manner to work on the damage effectively.
Provide a safer application
Many of the product come with a temperature control settings and some temperatures to shift to. These temperature settings give control to the user to regulate the cold temperature. This temperature regulation is not possible when using ice packs. Ice therapy machines, therefore, become a safe option because too much cold on the skin might cause damage.
Precautions to enhance safety
- Cold therapy may cause harm to the skin. Therefore, monitoring of the skin after a given period is advised.
- Use a layer of insulation when using the machine between the pad and skin to minimize the chances of injury.
- Minimize the use of very cold settings when conducting the therapy as it may lead to a freezing burn.
- An alteration of the blood pressure may result when using the ice therapy machines. The blood pressure should be continuously monitored especially for individuals with blood pressure problems. The use of the machine should be stopped in case of any drastic change in blood pressure.
- The elderly users should not use the machines frequently to minimize the constriction of blood vessels that may result in severe damage. This is because older persons do not conserve heat.
- Continuous consultation with medical practitioners should be made to ensure that the use of the devices does not cause harm to the user.
Ice therapy machines have revolutionized the healing process and have led to a shift from the traditional ice packs. The machines work by keeping the injured areas of the body cold to prevent the spread of damage. In doing this, they facilitate blood circulation fastening the healing process. In order to get the best ice therapy machine, the buyer should consider the coverage, running time, budget and effectiveness of the product.
Choosing a good product will enable the user to experience the benefits such as excellent coverage, safety and effective results. From the five products discussed, I would recommend the use of the Active Ice® Therapy System. It is recommended because it is easy to use, durable and effective in performing its function. Also, it comes with a large reservoir for storage and a universal bladder that can be used to treat injury in different areas of the body. Finally, it comes with a 30-minute timer that minimizes exposure to the skin enhancing safety.