When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no cost to you.
If you haven’t heard of the portable toilets, then you are new to camping expeditions. This is because these toilets have long been among the first things on the planning lists of most campers across the world. Portable toilets are hygienic, relatively inexpensive, and advanced with some of the latest designs becoming more practical and easier to use. There are a number of portable toilet variants for one to choose from. If you are looking for a product to buy yet you do not know how to go about it, continue reading this review for a guide on how to choose the best portable camping toilet.
- 1 Top 5 Best Portable Camping Toilet For The Money 2020 Reviews
- 2 Buying Guide: Important things to keep in mind while purchasing
- 3 Conclusion
Top 5 Best Portable Camping Toilet For The Money 2020 Reviews
1. Dometic 301097202 Portable Toilet
This is a 2.6-gallon portable toilet designed as a full adult sized product, coming with an elongated seat for maximum possible comfort in such a setup. Its body features a highly durable ABS, a material that is highly scratch resistant. It is a very economic toilet with each flush using just 1 pint of water thus making it one of the best portable toilets for camping. And the flushing system employs a clean water flush mechanism that is primed to make it user-friendly as a press of the button is all that is needed for water loading. On the other hand, it has a handle for emptying the waste into its storage tank. An extra-long spout, together with an air vent has been factored into the design, so as to make the emptying process even easier.
Our Rating: (4.3 / 5)
- Features a prismatic level indicator whose purpose is to show the necessity of emptying the holding tank once it’s full
- Features an improved design that makes it easy to load water as well as to flush out the wastes
- 6-gallon capacity is good enough storage space for a few days out
- It features a design that economizes water thus reducing the load you will carry to your camping site.
- The flashing system would have been improved for water to come from the back of the bowl too. It only comes from the sides.
2. Sanitation Equipment Visa Potty Model
This model comes with a 6.3-gallon holding tank capacity, with a 2.6-gallon fresh water reservoir designed to be used for flushing. The two tanks each have their own level indicators to alert you when you need to fill water or empty the holding tank. A pump lever is used to operate the flushing system, working through the mechanism of forcing water to produce a perfect cleanup. An odor and leak proof seal have been incorporated in the design, reducing the risks of spillage to almost zero. Unlike other portable toilets, with this Visa Potty Model, you won’t be bothered with those unpleasant smells.
Our Rating: (4.3 / 5)
- It comes with one of the best designs that make it easy to use the toilet. These include the detachable spout together with an air vent that has been designed to make the emptying process easy.
- Its weight is one of the most ideal and the capacity is also good enough
- Comes with a strong and sturdy material construction for accommodation of even bigger people
- It features a simple design and is very portable camping toilet to invest in.
- Though bigger than a good number of products on the market, it’s still small for some people
3. Thetford 92360 Porta Potti 550E Curve Portable Toilet
This product comes with the looks and comfort akin to that of the home toilets you are used to. Unlike the normally squared camping toilet for sale, you have an option of buying something that you are most familiarized with. The Thetford product comes with a 5.5-gallon waste capacity and a 4 gallons fresh water reservoir. This 4-gallon capacity is one of the most economic, sufficiently being able to produce an average of 55 flushes. The toilet seat’s design is mainly comfort-oriented, with its height being a bit higher than the heights of most of its counterparts on the market.
Our Rating: (4.3 / 5)
- Comes with an integrated toilet roll holder for better organization and arrangement
- Features a large capacity spout for emptying and an improved water tank carrying handle
- It is battery powered, with flashing operation requiring just a press on a button
- Its comfortable design is one of the main reasons why it is considered as one of the best portable toilets for camping
- It isn’t as odor proof as other products. Always keep the holding tank less than half full
4. Camco 41541 Portable Toilet
It features a 5.3-gallon holding capacity and a 2.5-gallon tank capacity of fresh water. It is one of the most portable camping toilets, weighing just 11 pounds when empty. What is interesting is the fact that even with such a lightweight construction, the toilet is still strong enough to carry up to a capacity of 330 pounds. The Camco 41541 features a flush mechanism that is hand-pump bellows system operated. A sliding valve has been incorporated in the design to open when waste is being discharged but to immediately close up so as to prevent any odor or liquid leakage. Emptying is very easy, especially due to the fact that you can disjoint the tank from the seat through a simple unclipping process.
Our Rating: (4.4 / 5)
- It is one of the best camping toilets for sale out there, weighing just about 11 pounds when empty
- There is nothing as good in a portable camping toilet as knowing that it is odor proof. This one is
- It is almost similar to the household toilet thus making it very comfortable to use even for extended periods.
- It is a durable toilet and one that can easily be used for long lasting situations such as in a boat, RV or even in the homestead.
- It is lowly priced as compared to most of the other products. In fact, its appealing price to performance ratio makes it the budgeter’s best portable toilets for camping
- The positioning of the freshwater tank at the top of the unit creates an imbalance when the freshwater tank is full but the waste tank is empty
5. Cleanwaste Go Anywhere Portable Toilet
It is a completely portable toilet for truly keeping the waste away. The model doesn’t only offer its users a portable toilet system but also a privacy shelter, making it a complete set, ready for use anywhere. And the manufacturing company knows that you will be moving around with your portable toilet thus they neatly pack all the components in a backpack thus easy transportation and storage. In the backpack, you will be carrying a total weight of just 18 pounds, which is impressive, considering the number of components in the package. Unlike the other products above, this product’s wastes are directed into a biodegradable sack. Some special powder is added into the sack. This powder turns all the liquid wastes into solids. When full, seal the waste bag and completely dispose of it.
Our Rating: (4.3 / 5)
- It’s one of the strongest on the market, being capable of supporting up to a 500-pound weight.
- Features a 3-leg construction that guarantees stability even on the uneven grounds
- Comes with a bowl andseat size that is equal to that of the household standard toilets
- It’s compact and relatively lightweight, thus very portable
- Maintenance costs are a bit high as the Cleanwaste Waste bags have to be bought with every use.
Buying Guide: Important things to keep in mind while purchasing
There are a number of things that you will always need to consider as you shop for a portable toilet. These include:
1. Waste Disposal
At some point or stage, you will need to empty your portable toilet. There are different toilet-emptying mechanisms. One of such is the water flush emptying mechanism. Such toilets need some special emptying sites. If you are using an RV, it may be easy to empty such water flush toilets in some areas, especially in the urban centers. However, when you are venturing in the wild, emptying a water-flushable portable toilet may prove to be a tall order. There is also the option of using biodegradable sacks. These are easier to dispose of, especially in the countryside. Just dig a 6-inch deep pit, at least 100 yards from a water source and bury your sack.
2. Ease of Use
If it is for a boat or an RV, no need to worry much. But if you are looking for a portable toilet for use during camping, you need to know that you will always set it up when you start camping and dismantle it thereafter. You don’t want to have an experience with a toilet that isn’t easy to set up or even one that will pose a challenge when it comes to waste disposal. The toilet should be so simple that it can easily be set up with speed. You also need to understand that the location where you will set up the toilet may end up being a consideration factor.
3. Volume of the Toilet
Depending on how long you will take out, you definitely have to consider the waste holding capacity. If you are planning to go out for a night as a couple, the capacity needed will absolutely be larger than the capacity you need when you are going out for a week as a team. One of the things to consider much is the number of flushes that the product is able to give, as this will give you a rough idea of the capacity it holds. It will be of no benefit for you to buy a toilet that holds a big capacity yet you rarely spend more than a weekend out.
All portable toilets need cleaning, with some needing to be flushed whereas others will require the waste sack to be dumped. In my opinion, the waste sack types are easier to clean and empty. However, the cost of buying a new sack will cumulatively be a bit high, especially if you frequently use your portable toilet. Flush toilets are known to greatly benefit from cleaning agents or deodorizers. All in all, ensure that you are pretty aware of how you will go about the toilet cleaning issue and what will work best for you.
And with all that said, there is none of the products on the market capable of competing with the Camco 41541 Portable Toilet. This is the best portable toilets for camping as it solves your plumbing issues for a long-term duration and with some of the most advantageous features. Though it may be having some minor design flaws, its pros do outweigh the flaws a great deal. All in all, there are so many products on the market for you to choose from. As much as you may end up with a good product out of this list, your chances of getting satisfied are more if you stick within the above reviewed list.