The smell of clean laundry brings back memories from childhood, while helping mom take the clothes off the line. My mother bragged about having the best smelling laundry detergents that money could buy.
Nowadays, every time I pull a load of laundry from the dryer the smell fills my nostrils. I try to remember the scent of what my mother said was the best. With so many different options of laundry detergent, deciding which is the best is often difficult. But here are ten of the best smelling laundry detergents on the market.
Choices, Choices, Choices
- 1 Top 10 Best Smelling Laundry Detergent Reviews
- 1.1 1. Seventh Generation Natural Laundry Detergent Geranium Blossoms and Vanilla 106 loads
- 1.2 2. Mrs. Meyer’s Clean Day Liquid Laundry Detergent – Lavender
- 1.3 3. Arm & Hammer Clean Burst
- 1.4 4. Gain Flings Original
- 1.5 5. Charlie’s Soap – Eco Friendly Laundry Powder
- 1.6 6. Ecover Liquid Laundry Wash
- 1.7 7. Method Naturally Derived 8X Concentrated Laundry Detergent Pump
- 1.8 8. All Stainlifters Small & Mighty Liquid Detergent
- 1.9 9. Tide Mountain Spring Turbo Powder Laundry Detergent
- 1.10 10. Wisk Deep Clean Liquid Laundry Detergent for High Efficiency (HE) Machines
- 2 The Winner Is…
Top 10 Best Smelling Laundry Detergent Reviews
1. Seventh Generation Natural Laundry Detergent Geranium Blossoms and Vanilla 106 loads
This laundry detergent contains no dyes, synthetic fragrances or artificial brighteners but it still smells like the fragrant geranium blossoms and vanilla. This is because it is scented with 100% all-natural botanical oils and extracts. It is 96% biodegradable and it is an EPA safer choice product. This product is hypoallergenic which means it should be safe to use for people who have super sensitive skin or skin problems like eczema. One bottle will allow you to wash up to 53 loads if measured out properly and this makes it very efficiently sized.
Our Rating: (4.4 / 5)
- hypoallergenic and 96% biodegradable
- Only washes up to 53 loads per bottle
2. Mrs. Meyer’s Clean Day Liquid Laundry Detergent – Lavender
This product comes in a delightful fresh lavender scent and is compatible with both traditional and HE machines. However, it is Not only usable with any machine, it can also be used as a pre-treatment on stains. In one 34-ounce bottle, you can wash up to 68 loads of laundry because you should only use 1 tablespoon per standard load. And the plant-based natural product with its lavender scent can help you to relax with every fresh change of clothes. This is because for years, people have been using the lavender herb as a way to calm down, relax the body and help treat fatigue.
Our Rating: (4.3 / 5)
- Can be used as a pre-treatment for stains
- Not as tough against grease stains as other products that are not plant-based
3. Arm & Hammer Clean Burst
This Arm & Hammer product comes in a 210-ounce container with an easy to use dispenser spout and contains enough laundry detergent to wash 140 loads. It can be used with all types of washing machines, including HE machines. Plus, the clean burst scent can leave your laundry with a light, fresh scent that isn’t overpowering. This product is made from biodegradable surfactants and doesn’t include phosphate. Arm & Hammer is also a well-known company that has been providing baking soda based cleaning products for over 100 years. This is a brand name you know you can trust.
Our Rating: (4.3 / 5)
- Large container for most loads of laundry with easy dispenser
- The dispenser spout is convenient but it tends to leak and make a mess
4. Gain Flings Original
Gain Flings Original little capsules include Gain laundry detergent with the added stain fighting power of OxiBoost. Plus, there’s an extra burst of the fresh scent of Febreze. One of Gain’s unique original scents, Moonlight Breeze, is a light and fresh scent that should remind you of walking through the moonlight on a warm summer’s night. Also included is the Gain Scent Micro Capsules. Once the laundry is finished and you are wearing the clothes, the micro capsules continue to release that clean laundry smell over a longer period of time. Using capsules instead of liquid or powder detergents can take the mess out of doing laundry. There are no messy spills to clean up if you knock over a container of powder or liquid detergent.
Our Rating: (4.7 / 5)
- Combines Gain, Oxiclean and Febreze into a single capsule, three-in-one
- Cannot choose the amount of detergent you use for larger or smaller loads
5. Charlie’s Soap – Eco Friendly Laundry Powder
This product is hypoallergenic, non-toxic, 100% biodegradable and scent-free. This is pretty much everything you need in a laundry detergent if you are serious about the environment and need something gentle on your skin. One tablespoon of powdered laundry detergent per load means that this 2.64 pound bag can wash more than 100 loads. This product is suitable for all types of machines and safe to use with almost any type of fabric, including the more delicate materials like silk and linen and tougher materials like wool.
Our Rating: (4.5 / 5)
- Can be used with multiple fabric types, even delicates
- Unscented, won’t leave your laundry with that “fresh clean” scent
6. Ecover Liquid Laundry Wash
Ecover Liquid Laundry Wash is made from plant-based materials and has been tested by dermatologists. It comes in a lavender fields scent giving it a nice aroma therapy scent. The 51-fluid ounce bottle has enough liquid to wash up to 34 loads and it can be used with both types of laundry machines. It contains no artificial fragrances and is completely biodegradable making it safer for the environment. The company also does not test on animals which is something very important to many these days. No optical brighteners are added to this detergent and it doesn’t contain phosphate, which is an additive that is harsh to many people’s skin.
Our Rating: (4 / 5)
- Completely biodegradable and not tested on animals
- Requires two caps full of detergent for a single load
7. Method Naturally Derived 8X Concentrated Laundry Detergent Pump
This product can wash a single load using 4 pumps of detergent and a 30-ounce bottle can actually wash up to 75 loads. This ultra-concentrated detergent is plant-based and uses something called smart clean technology to actually target dirt and stains in your clothes. Available in the clean fresh air fragrance that can leave your clothes smelling like you dried them on the line one afternoon in the fresh spring air. It works well with any type of washing machine and the pump dispenser can be refilled making it a great reusable tool.
Our Rating: (4.2 / 5)
- 4 pumps is a standard load but smaller and larger loads can easily use more or less
- The pump design can more easily break than a normal cap or spout dispenser
8. All Stainlifters Small & Mighty Liquid Detergent
This product wears the badge of honor for being the #1 recommended by dermatologists for sensitive skin. It is a perfume and dye free product making it not only good for sensitive skin but also good for people who can’t handle strongly scented detergents. This product can also remove two very common allergens, dust mites and cat dander which can be great for people who suffer from allergies. The small 32-ounce bottle can wash up to 42 medium sized loads and the bottle can actually fit nicely in the palm of your hand, making it good for situations when you can’t carry a jumbo size bottle of laundry detergent like going on vacation or walking to the laundry mat. This size is also great for people who need something easier to hold, such as people with weak hands or hand injuries.
Our Rating: (4.5 / 5)
- #1 recommended by dermatologist for sensitive skin
- Helps remove some allergens but not all
9. Tide Mountain Spring Turbo Powder Laundry Detergent
This product was specifically designed for high efficiency (HE) machines. And, it is part of Tide’s new and improved formula that includes Acti-lift crystals that should help to remove even tough, set in stains. The Mountain Spring scent is fresh and strong enough to last longer, even after the laundry has been put away for a long while. The container has 95 ounces of detergent which is good for up to 68 loads. This product can be used with hot, warm or cold water and has been named the #1 stain fighter among powder detergents.
Our Rating: (4.4 / 5)
- Acti-lift crystals are designed to fight tough set in stains
- Not an all-natural product
10. Wisk Deep Clean Liquid Laundry Detergent for High Efficiency (HE) Machines
Using the micro-cleaners, this product can target oils and body odors that get trapped in our clothes from everyday wear. The 50-ounce bottle is good for up to 33 standard loads of laundry, which makes it another highly efficient use of both space and money. This specific product is designed for high efficiency (HE) machines but Wisk also sells the Deep Clean Liquid Laundry Detergent for the normal top loading machines as well. Wisk is a company that has existed for more than 50 years and focuses specifically on laundry products. Wisk doesn’t have extremely strong perfumes but can leave your clothes with a light clean smell. So, Wisk is a brand you know you can trust with your clothes.
Our Rating: (4.5 / 5)
- Designed to target body odor and sweat trapped in fabrics
- Not readily available because company was recently bought out
The Winner Is…
I have closely considered the pros and cons of each product and things that are important to me when buying laundry detergent, and I have declared the winner for the Best Smelling Laundry Detergent – it goes to Gain Fling Original for several reasons and I think you will agree with me. Unlike other products, Gain capsules include Febreze for an added burst of fragrance. And it’s also combined with the wonderful scent of Moonlight Breeze and the stain fighting power of Oxiclean. It really is a three in one product, so I don’t have to add stain remover or extra scented products to my laundry to get the clean, fresh laundry that I love. This product is a great laundry tool that I love having in the cupboard for everyday use and trust me, it definitely gets a lot of use in my house.