When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no cost to you.
Engaging in outdoor activities especially in the cold season is always a struggle. There is the need for a good source of heat to keep us going. People that engage in activities such as camping and fishing understand the need of having the best tent heater as a source of heat.
The tent heater should be able to provide heat to all the users. In addition to heat, the product should be safe to minimize the occurrence of fire or choking. The review will help you determine the best tent heaters available in the market. Also, a buying guide to inform you on what you should consider before choosing a product. Finally, information on the types of tent heaters.
- 1 Top 5 Best Tent Heater 2020 Reviews
- 1.1 1. Mr. Heater MH18B, Portable Propane Heater
- 1.2 2. Mr. Heater F232000 MH9BX Buddy 4,000-9,000-BTU Indoor-Safe Portable Radiant Heater
- 1.3 3. Mr. Heater F215100 MH4B Little Buddy 3800-BTU Indoor Safe Propane Heater, Medium
- 1.4 4. Zodi Outback Gear X-40 Hot Vent Tent Heater, Black
- 1.5 5. Texsport Portable Outdoor Propane Heater
- 2 Types of tent heaters
- 3 Buying Guide
- 4 Conclusion
Top 5 Best Tent Heater 2020 Reviews
1. Mr. Heater MH18B, Portable Propane Heater
The tent heater is a clean burning one approved for use in an indoor and outdoor setting. For example, it may be utilized in a tent, workshop, garage, fishing shanties, cabins and truck caps. It is a product that is almost 100% efficient. Therefore, it has the ability to heat up spaces up to 300 square feet. It has 4000 to 18000 BTU making it powerful. Also, the blower fan facilitates the power which allows the movement of warm air. The fan operates using 4D cell batteries or a 6-volt AC adapter.
The user is able to obtain steady temperatures by using the control knob. Furthermore, the temperatures set using the control knob are either medium, low or high. The control knob is connected to the propane tank so as to perform its task. Here, the heater may use a different combination of propane tank sizes. It can use two 1lb or 5, 10 or 20 lb propane tanks.
The handle makes the product easy to carry around. Also, it has a wire guard made of heavy duty material to enhance protection and safety when traveling. In addition, the feature also ensures the product is durable since it is well protected.
Most noteworthy, the camping heater has a built-in Piezo ignition with four-position heat control. The four heat control systems include low, pilot, hi and med. Also, the shock absorbing feature is a dual ceramic burner tile that comes with absorbing insulation. In addition, the product design includes a low oxygen and tip-over safety shut-off for security.
Our Rating: (4.6 / 5)
- It is nearly 100% efficient.
- It is able to heat up a sizable amount of space within a short period.
- Equipped with safety features to protect the users.
- The heater may go off at high altitudes over 7,000 feet.
- It should not be used in small spaces as it gets too hot.
2. Mr. Heater F232000 MH9BX Buddy 4,000-9,000-BTU Indoor-Safe Portable Radiant Heater
Mr. Heater F232000 is a heater for camping that comes with two heat settings. These parameters include a 4000 amp and 9000 BTU/HR. The size of the heating surface is large to enhance heat production. Also, the handle is a folding type to reduce the space required for storage.
Another great feature of this product is the Piezo igniter and four position control. Furthermore, the high-temperature wire guard shields the heater. The swivel regulator makes it easy for the user to install the hose and LP cylinder.
The heating surface of this product is large with a durable porcelain coating. This ensures directing of radiant heat over a wide area. For safety, a low-oxygen and tip-over safety shut-off are in place. In addition, a ceramic burner tile is mounted. The burner tile has shock absorbing insulation for easy replacement and durability.
Our Rating: (4.5 / 5)
- The camp heater is durable and reliable.
- It provides for oxygen and tip-over safety shut-off.
- The heater operates with two heat settings.
- It is a high-quality product.
- It does not work efficiently in high altitudes.
- The flame is exposed in the element.
3. Mr. Heater F215100 MH4B Little Buddy 3800-BTU Indoor Safe Propane Heater, Medium
The heater is a frustration-free certified product that weighs five pounds. It has a large heating surface with two heat settings. The heat settings are 4000 and 9000 BTU/HR. Most noteworthy, it has a four position control. This position control has an inbuilt Piezo igniter. Also, it comes with a high-temperature wire guard.
Another great feature that makes the product easy to us is the swivel regulator. It functions to allow the installation of the LP cylinder and hose. Also, the heating surface is made of porcelain with a large durable surface. This is for radiant heat direction over a wide area. The shock-absorbing property of the ceramic burner promotes easy replacement and durability. The burner has shock absorbing insulation for this purpose.
Our Rating: (4 / 5)
- It heats up an area efficiently.
- It may take some time to light up.
- Many users complain that it stopped working after a short time.
- To turn off the heater, the bottle needs to be taken off.
4. Zodi Outback Gear X-40 Hot Vent Tent Heater, Black
The Zodi is a product made of all metal weighing 34 pounds. It has a rugged and with a high output. It features about 40,000 BTUs. The heater does not produce fumes making it safe and clean. This is enabled by the positive pressure features of the product. The setting up of the heater is fast. This is because it only connects to a propane tank with 12-volt power.
Although bulky, the product is compact. This is because it transports and stores easily. The connection to a propane tank is instantaneous. Also, it has a heat exchanger made of stainless steel.
Our Rating: (4.1 / 5)
- It provides heat without the threat of choking.
- It is bulky.
- It does not come with a thermostat.
- The camping heater is only recommended for intermittent heating.
5. Texsport Portable Outdoor Propane Heater
The propane heater weighs 1.8 pounds and uses a stainless steel burner. The stainless steel burner is durable making the product reliable. The paddle foot plastic base promotes the stability of the heater.
The control knob enables the regulation of heat. It is able to adjust up to 2,890 BTU’s. The product incorporates some safety features. They include an auto shut off valve. This comes into effect to shut off fuel when the flame goes out.
The cylinder that the product uses is a 16.4 or 14.1oz which is disposable. An aluminum reflector accompanies the product for easy transportation. The reflector also comes with a carrying handle and safety grid.
Our Rating: (4.3 / 5)
- It works well to heat up in cold weather.
- The product comes at a great price.
- It is not appropriate for enclosed areas without the flow of air.
- The product is a bit fragile.
Types of tent heaters
There are three main types of tent heaters available. The feature that distinguishes the products is the source of heat. The three main types are propane, electric and chemical heaters.
These types are the majority in the market. They work by burning propane to provide heat. The propane is usually contained in tanks that are connected to the heaters. The use of propane allows the users to easily transport the product from one place to another without the need of an electrical outlet.
In addition, the use of propane is inexpensive. The only requirement is the need to make accurate calculations to determine the amount necessary to provide adequate heat. Propane heaters are nearly 100% efficient, and they burn powerfully to give heat to an area.
- Most noteworthy, the heaters create a high risk of fire. However, the products contain some safety features that guard against the danger. Also, most work without an open flame significantly reducing the risk.
- These camping heaters produce a sizeable amount of carbon monoxide. The users should, therefore, take precaution and use the heaters in a well-ventilated area.
Electrical heaters are suitable for users with an electrical outlet. They are a safe and convenient option for heat. The fuel source of these type of camp heaters is a battery or mains power. However, the electric heaters work best in smaller areas.
- They are a low-risk option since they do not produce carbon monoxide.
- Also, they do not work with an open flame.
- Another advantage is that they do not require tanks making them very portable.
Chemical heaters are those that heat up sleeping bags. They are not necessarily tent heaters. The materials making these heaters include water and sodium acetate.
- The materials are non-toxic making the sleeping bag heaters a safe option.
The two types of chemical heaters include single-use and reusable heat packs. The single use comes in different sizes for specific areas. For example hand and toe heaters. The reusable heat packs heat up by an exothermic reaction. The liquid in the bag crystallizes and transfers heat to the user.
The prices of the products vary from cheap to expensive heaters. The price of the product chosen depends on the budget set by the buyer. An electric heater is cheaper than a gas heater. This is because the gas heater requires other accessories such as tanks and pipes for connection. Moreover, these accessories do not come with the product making the buyer incur additional costs.
Safety is paramount. The product should have the minimal risk possible. For example, the product should have safety features that prevent the outbreak of fire. These include the auto, tip over and low oxygen shut-off. Also, the heater should produce minimal carbon monoxide emissions to prevent choking.
- Thermal output
The thermal output is the energy that the heater can exert therefore determining how warm it can be. The thermal output should be higher especially if the use of the heater is icy regions.
A tent heater for camping should be silent and not disturb the users during the period of use.
The size of the heater is an important factor to consider especially if the product is for use outdoors. The size affects the portability and storage. Also, it will influence the setup of the structure, for example, a tent. The smaller the size, the better since less space is used up.
When using the heater for camping, the product may require being carried. If the weight is too much, it creates a lot of difficulty for the carrier. It is crucial to factor in the weight so as to carefully plan on the items to carry that will not cause strain.
Tent heaters for camping play an important role of providing heat to keep the cold away. From the five products discussed, I would recommend the use of the Mr. Heater MH18B, Portable Propane Heater. This is because the features of the product conform to the buying guide. It is a product able to heat a wide area of space. Also, it is durable and portable. Finally, the design considers crucial safety features that protect the users.