Just as our hair needs cutting for aesthetic purposes, the grasses in our backyard also need clipping for the same reason. The use of lawn mowers has been rampant even before because it does make the cutting job easier and makes the grasses size even in height. But what is really a lawn mower and how does it work?
A lawn mower is a gadget which has a rotating blade used for trimming grasses. Over the years, the lawn mowers evolve from the traditional manual operated and gasoline powered. And in the present times, most of the lawn mowers are now electrically or battery powered. Aside from that, the blades of the lawn mowers also vary from single to double. In terms of sizes, the traditional lawn mowers do look larger and bulkier, while the new ones are lighter and smaller.
So as the years go by, the invention of electric lawn mower came into existence. The views were divided as some still preferred the old one, while some are embracing this change that came.
The electric lawn mowers that were invented were also divided into corded and cordless. Let us get into the details of each of these two and find out their similarities and differences.
How to use a cordless electric lawn mower
You finally have the dream lawn mower that you have been wanted for so long. The first thing that you have to do is to know the machine by heart. You have to be knowledgeable about the machine’s features, specifications, usage, extra features and the accessories that come with it. The user manual is a very important part of the machine. Make sure you will take the time to read and study it while exploring the lawn mower.
Now that you have gain insight on the machine and able to assemble it per manuals instruction. Let us start with how the cordless electric lawn mower will work.
Switch on the lawn mower, and since it is battery-operated, make sure it is fully charged before you use it. Spot the switch control lever and revolve in a counterclockwise manner so that you can have full access to it. Pull the lever in the direction of the handle of the mower and discharge the mower release. Continue doing this process as you mow. In case you want to stop or pause from mowing, you just have to let go of the switch control lever.
Tips and Warnings
- Know the symbols and warning signs of the machine so that you know what is indicated should it experience problems or give cautions.
- In any machine that will be used, safety is the most important concern, to the user and to other people that will be affected. The lawn mower cuts grasses and can cut body parts too. So be very watchful of your surrounding as you used the lawn mower. Stop mowing if children, other people, and pets are in the area.
- Keep yourself safe. Make sure you will not wear loose clothing as it can get tangled in some parts of the lawn mower. It is also recommended that you should wear gloves and specified boots.
- Do not use the lawn mower when it is raining to avoid damage on the machine’s parts especially the batteries.
- Do maintain your lawn mower in a good working condition especially its parts. Check the blades and make sure it is still sharp. Check the nuts, bolts, and screws and make sure they are securely tightened.
- Stop the lawn mower’s operation and remove the battery if you want to do something with the machine like cleaning, unclogging or repairing.
- If not in use, put in a dry, locked up place secured, especially from children’s curiosity.
- Do not drain the batteries and do not overcharge it.
- Avoid getting electrocuted, make sure you will not touch the battery terminals especially if it is wet.
- If you are unsure of doing the repair, contact a legit repairman or servicing shops.
How to use a corded electric lawn mower
Now you have in your hands the corded electric lawn mower that you need for your lawn. You read the manual, but there are things that are unclear to you, especially on the “how to operate” part. Let me give you simple and detailed instructions on how to manoeuvre your lawn mower.
Position the lawn mower to the area as which you desired to start to mow first. Check the height of the blades to the height of the grasses that you want to trim and make adjustments to the handle as you like. Connect the cord to the mower while making sure you run the cord round to the safety stop.
Plug the other end to the outlet and make sure that the cord is not lying unnecessarily on the ground. Now that everything is set, start it by standing in arrears of the mower and squeeze the handle. If you want to stop the machine, just slowly release the handle.
Tips and Warnings
- Always be cautious in using the lawn mower. Safety for yourself and for others is the main priority.
- Follow thoroughly the user’s manual provided to you.
- Remember that you are working with a lawn mower that has a cord. As you change your directions while mowing, do not forget to clear your ground from the cord so it will not get in the way. It is advisable that you have to turn the machine off and before you remove the cord.
- If there is an instance that you run over the cord, turn off the machine and check for cuts. If there are cuts in the cord, unplug it right away and have it fix.
- The possibility that the cord will get tangled in the storage is most likely to happen especially if you have long ones, secure a plastic roller for easy storing.
- Purchase an extension cord only if it is really needed and make sure it is compatible or specified for your lawn mower.
- Do not operate on damage cords and do not touch it to avoid getting electric shocks.
- Keep cord away from heat to avoid damage on the cords casing or internal wires.
- As well as, do not let the cord get in touch with strong chemicals that could cause corrosion, damages or can weaken the cord.
- If in doubt or having safety issues with the mower, contact repair personnel.
Whether it is cordless or corded, the thing is that you buy it because you need it and you can get the maximum benefit from it if your electric lawn mowers have proper maintenance and care. The company of each lawn mowers will provide particular guidelines that you can find in your lawn mowers manual. If you do so, you can be sure that your lawn mower will attain its finest performance and would last longer saving you from unwarranted costs.