When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no cost to you.
When the weather gets warmer, camping is an outdoor activity that lots of people enjoy. A good source of light is one of the most important gears that you should bring with you. Most of the campsites have limited power source.
Although bonfire can keep the campsite bright, it is not helpful for indoor areas. For indoor areas, you need a LED rechargeable lantern. This best LED rechargeable lanterns buying guide will help you choose the right item.
The lanterns make it possible for you to enjoy outdoors even at night. Some rechargeable lanterns get its energy by solar power. Others use a device that can generate more energy for the lantern if it starts to dim. If you still don’t own one, this buying guide is for you.
- 1 Top 10 Best LED Rechargeable Lanterns 2020 Reviews
- 1.1 1. Supernova Halo 180
- 1.2 2. Suaoki Led Orange Camping Lantern
- 1.3 3. AGPtek 5 Mode Dynamo 36
- 1.4 4. Superway Portable Ultra Bright LED Camping Lantern
- 1.5 5. Suaoki Led Camping Lantern Lights
- 1.6 6. Ivation Collapsible Solar LED Lantern
- 1.7 7. SUBOOS Ultimate Rechargeable
- 1.8 8. LE 600lm LED Camp Lantern
- 1.9 9. Gama Sonic LED Lantern
- 1.10 10. Outlite 300 Lumen Portable camping light
- 2 Rechargeable Lanterns Buying Guide
- 3 Tips on Using Your Rechargeable Lantern
- 4 Final Verdict
Top 10 Best LED Rechargeable Lanterns 2020 Reviews
1. Supernova Halo 180
If you have a wider camping site, Supernova Halo 180 is a good choice. It is 300% brighter as compared to other leading brands. A charged battery can last up to 5 hours. You can stick its magnetic base on any metal. This lantern has a retractable hook if you prefer to hang it to brighten the inside of your tent.
Its 180 lumens output fits in the palm of your hand can give enough brightness. The Supernova Halo warm white LED provides the most comfortable and natural lighting.
Our Rating: (4.6 / 5)
- 5 brightness options – low, slow pulse, medium, quick flashing and maximum
- Battery charge can last up to 5 hours
- With built-in 1800mAh rechargeable lithium battery
- You can charge it using any USB computer or phone charger
- With 5 year warranty
- It is very small and is not known to last for years before breaking.
- It is good for hanging but not for carrying.
2. Suaoki Led Orange Camping Lantern
This lantern is like a large cup with a nice lid on it. You can charge Suaoki Lantern either by a USB charger or solar power. This collapsible product is made of silicone. It is waterproof and has 3 brightness modes to control the lighting. You can charge it in the sun and via the micro USB port.
The Suaoki Lantern is perfect for outdoor activities. You can bring it while fishing, traveling, camping or reading on the porch at night. One important feature of this lantern is that it has a smart protection chip. This chip protects your lantern from overcharging, over-circuit, and over-discharging. This feature assures safety when in use.
Our Rating: (4.4 / 5)
- Portable, durable and foldable.
- Three lighting modes – high, low or SOS blinking for emergency
- Smart Protection chip to assure safety
- The light is brighter as compared to others
- With waterproof silicone housing
- The charging port is not like the usual USB or micro USB
3. AGPtek 5 Mode Dynamo 36
The AGPtek 5 solar lantern is ideal for hiking emergency. There are 5 ways to charge this lantern in the sun, crank, car, batteries (3 x AA) and with a wall plug. It has two brightness modes. The Super Bright Mode for extended vision or for sharing. The Bright Mode for reading and your normal activities. It has a USB output charging port to charge mobile phones and other devices.
Our Rating: (4.3 / 5)
- You can charge it 5 different ways
- Consume less energy with Polysilicon solar panels
- Adjust the brightness from enough light to read to share
- You can charge your mobile phone and other devices in the USB port
- If you depend on AA battery power, you need to bring some extra during camping
4. Superway Portable Ultra Bright LED Camping Lantern
The Superway Camping Lantern is ultra-bright. It has 3 brightness settings having 440 lumens as the brightest and 200 lumens as the dimmest. Battery life will last up to 99 hours when used at low brightness. It can charge up your devices fast. This lantern has built-in 10400mAh external battery pack power bank. You can charge your mobile phone and other devices anytime. The LED bulb life can last up to 100,000 hours. Thus, you don’t have to worry if you need it for longer hours.
Our Rating: (4.3 / 5)
- LED bulb has super longer life
- Easy to carry and lightweight
- When set at high brightness it has very bright light
- You can charge your mobile phone three times before its battery runs out.
- The waterproofing of this lantern looks like a little less than needed.
5. Suaoki Led Camping Lantern Lights
The Suaoki LED lantern is a good choice for camping or to have it even around the house. It has a simple built that makes it easy to hold. With its foldable design, storing it is not a problem. If you need to use for an extended period of time, you don’t have to worry. The lantern has a built-in 1000mAh battery pack that will last up to 12 hours when used in low brightness mode.
If used in high brightness mode you can use it for about 5 hours. You can use it even during rainy days because it has waterproof feature. It has a Smart Protection Chip that protects it from overcharging and over circuit. This product is very durable that you can use it for many years.
Our Rating: (4.4 / 5)
- The light is much brighter as compared to others
- Waterproof thus you can use it during rainy days
- You can fold and store it when not in use without any hassle
- Protected against overcharging, over-circuit and over-discharging because of its Smart Protection Chip
- Three lighting mode
- The charging port is not the usual type like microUSB or USB which makes it inconvenient.
6. Ivation Collapsible Solar LED Lantern
The Ivation collapsible LED lantern has unique features that users will enjoy. Its collapsible feature makes it easy for the owner to store it. It has three simple settings – high, low and the SOS blinking feature for emergency use. You can charge via a solar panel or USB cord.
If your mobile phone runs out of battery, you can recharge it using the lantern USB port. If you need to bring it along during rainy days, no need to worry since it is waterproof. With its built-in hanging handle, carrying it is not a problem. No need to worry about overheating. It has a short-circuit protection that protects you and your belongings.
Our Rating: (4.3 / 5)
- You charge it in direct sun power or using its USB cable
- You can use it as a charger for your mobile phones and other devices
- The handle has the tendency to break up fast.
7. SUBOOS Ultimate Rechargeable
This rechargeable LED lantern is small and compact, that you can bring it along anywhere. Its collapsible features make it easy to store. If you think it cannot emit the brightness that you need because of its size, you are wrong. It can shine at 185 lumens and its lighting radius is 65ft. it will last up to 4 hours continuous use.
You can charge it via USB or AC adapter. If needed, the lantern can also work on batteries. It has 4 light modes that can brighten 360-degree. You can set it at super bright mode, dim mode, Red or for night vision mode and the Flashing Red. You can also charge your mobile phone and other devices on its 5200mAh power bank. IPX5 waterproof features.
Our Rating: (4.6 / 5)
- Rechargeable up to1850s, you can use alkaline AA or rechargeable AA
- Compact design and very easy to carry
- It is lightweight
- It gives a good amount of light
- With 5 year warranty
- It is not solar-powered.
8. LE 600lm LED Camp Lantern
This rechargeable LED lantern is perfect for groups. It has two built-in separable flashlights that you can use while walking in the dark forest. Each flashlight brightens at 200 lumens, thus it is one of the brightest lanterns on the list. You can use the top light as a flashlight and the side lights as a lantern. In case the recharging features won’t work, you can use D batteries.
The flashlights use AAA batteries and are not rechargeable. It also includes a built-in compass, ideal when you want to explore the area. This will also help you during your adventure. It is easy to carry and hang because it has metal handles. The unit functions well as an emergency light since you have several lights from one lantern.
Our Rating: (4.4 / 5)
- 3 in 1 Design – as a lantern, flashlights or you can use both at the same time
- The brightness is 600 lumen and has 360-degree beam angle
- Multi-functional ideal for camping, emergency lighting, fishing and even dog walking
- It is not solar-powered, thus you cannot use it if you don’t have D battery and there is no power supply to charge it.
9. Gama Sonic LED Lantern
The Gamma Sonic LED lantern and emergency light provide illumination from 40 super bright LEDs. If while charging the electricity turns off, it will light up. On a full charge, it may last up to 7 hours of continuous use. The unit is easy to carry because it is lightweight. The unit can supply brightness of 200 lumens. It is Ideal for both indoor and outdoor activities. As compared to standard flashlights, the Gamma Sonic is far brighter.
Our Rating: (4.3 / 5)
- Long-lasting battery life that will last up to 7 hours
- Easy to charge into a standard US wall outlet
- It lights up when power is out while charging.
- You cannot charge it using solar power
- It is not waterproof
10. Outlite 300 Lumen Portable camping light
The Outlite 300 lumen rechargeable lantern can run using 3 AA batteries. If you cannot find batteries, you can charge it using solar power. It has 8 separate low-powered LED bulbs to offer the brightness that you need. The unit has Omni directional 360-degree design, meaning it can light up the entire room.
You can use it up to 12 hours of continuous operation. With its S hooks, you can hang it without any problem. The Outlite 300 is made from durable plastic. It also has waterproof design and is very light. When not in use, you can collapse it and store. You only need a little space for storing.
Our Rating: (4.2 / 5)
- It can last up to 12 hours of continuous use
- Easy to carry and durable
- With Lifetime Breakage Warranty
- With 30 days Money Back Warranty
- USB port is not working sometimes
Rechargeable Lanterns Buying Guide
Before deciding which lantern to buy, there are things that you need to consider. The important features that you need to check when buying are the following:
- Lumens or brightness rating
- How long the battery will last
- Ways of Charging and how long
- Storage and design
- Handling and convenience
These features are vital depending on what and where you are using it for. If you need the lantern for camping or backpacking, choose the one that is easy to carry. It is also best to buy one that is water and impact resistant. Through this, you will be able to determine how it can stand up to your wilderness trek.
One of the most vital aspects that you need to consider is how bright it is. The unit of measurement for brightness is lumens. In science, the lumen is defined as a complex formula to measure the brightness of a light source. The higher the lumens the brighter the lantern will be. One lumen is equal to one candle. A 400-lumen LED is somewhat equivalent to a 60-watt bulb.
Lumens and Brightness Rating
If you are looking for a lantern that can brighten up the tent, buy lantern with 30 or 40 lumens. If you need to read your book in the porch, then you need at least 80 lumens. To light up your picnic table, you need a lantern with at least 250 lumens. It is also enough to light the area as you set up the tent and cooks your dinner.
How Long the Battery will Last
The best LED rechargeable lantern should last up to 3 nights on a single charge. But since there are solar-powered rechargeable lanterns this should not be an issue. Choose the one that you can charge in different ways. This is important if you need to stay longer in the camping site. Pick the one with a battery that will last 9 to 12 hours. It is important that it will last the whole night. If you can charge your lantern using only the main supply, pick the one that runs longer on one charge.
Ways of Charging and How Long
You can charge the rechargeable lanterns in two ways via solar-power or via the main power supply. There are some lanterns that you can charge using both energy sources. Some may also function using batteries. However, this is not ideal since batteries do not last longer. LED lanterns that can be charged using the main supply only, ask if it will work on 220V AC main. Know also its average running time on a single charge. This feature is important if you will camp globally.
For the solar-powered lanterns, focus on the running time when charging. This is vital since a partially-charged lantern might not provide enough brightness. The charging time of each lantern may vary from one brand to another. The majority of the camping lanterns will charge fast using adapters. The solar charging depends on factors that you cannot control, like the intensity of the sun.
Storage and Design
A good lantern is the one that you can store easily and you can bring anywhere. Choose the one that you can bring on your check-in luggage. When buying for one, inquire about the portability of the LED lantern. Most LED rechargeable lanterns have built-in power bank. You can charge your mobile phones and other devices on it.
Handling and Convenience
Choose a multifunctional LED rechargeable lantern that can serve you in different ways. Pick the one with different modes. Sometimes you need a brighter light early in the night. Later in the night, you might need a dimmer lighting while you are sleeping in the tent.
Tips on Using Your Rechargeable Lantern
One of the important features of a rechargeable lantern is how long it will last. You can extend the lifespan of your lantern by following the simple tips below.
Do not overcharge it
One of the most important things you can do to lengthen the lifespan of your lantern is proper charging. Make sure that you read the user manual before charging it. Some may need to be plugged into a charge for a specific number of hours. Others are solar-powered, so you should know when to expose it to sunlight and how long. Some lanterns have built-in smart protection chip to keep it protected against overcharging. By following the charging procedure, you can help in extending the lifespan of your unit. It will also help the unit function at its best.
Store it According to Manufacturer’s Advice
Before storing the lantern wipe and remove any dust, leaves, pollen and any debris first. Make sure that it is dry before placing it in its original box. Although some lanterns are waterproof, it is still not a good idea storing it with wet parts. Water might damage other parts. Store it in a dry and with moderate temperatures. Keep in mind that anything exposed to too much heat is dangerous.
In using your rechargeable lantern it is important that you follow the tips and advice indicated by the manufacturer. Failing to do so will result in frustration. Some complaints from users are due to mishandling of the unit.
Among the 10 best LED Rechargeable lanterns, AGPtek 5 Mode Dynamo 36 is the best choice. One of its best features is the 5 different ways of charging it. There will be no dark night with AGPtek 5 Mode Hand Crank Dynamo. If your lantern runs out of charge, you can place it in the sun to collect solar power. In case you need to charge it at night, you can plug it on the main supply. If you think this buying guide is helpful to you, feel free to share it with your friends.